Since 1983, McGuffey Montessori School has fostered a life-long love of learning and scholarship in a joyful, loving environment that nurtures each child’s sense of self.
We understand how important it is for parents to choose the educational experience that is the best fit for their child. We encourage you to experience McGuffey for yourself by visiting our school. You will be delighted by the creativity and joy of our students, the dedication of our teachers, and the warmth you feel as you walk through our classrooms.
Policies And Procedures For Admissions And Continuing Enrollment
Please use the following information to guide you through our admissions/application process. We are happy to answer any questions and encourage you to call the school office at (513) 523-7742.
Non-Discrimination Policy: McGuffey Montessori School recruits and admits students of any race, color, religion, or ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs and activities. In addition, the school will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarships/loans/fee waivers, educational programs, and athletics/extracurricular activities. In addition, the school is not intended to be an alternative to court or administrative agency-ordered, or public school district-initiated, desegregation.
STEP ONE: Schedule a Tour
- If you wish to apply for a space for your child, schedule a tour by clicking here. Parents must meet with a school administrator and tour the school before applying. The tour takes about an hour of your time and is for both parents.
- During your tour, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about the school and potential placement. The administrator has the opportunity to ask questions about your child and his/her previous schooling, if any, and about your expectations of the school.
STEP TWO: Apply
- If the parents and administrator feel that our school would be able to meet the parents’ expectations, and if the administrator feels that there is a possibility that the school could consider the child for enrollment, the parents complete an application through TADS that includes a $50 application fee. Families with a child already enrolled pay a $25 application fee. You must apply to be in our waiting pool.
- In signing the application, the parent gives permission for our school to contact the child’s previous school(s) and will obtain information on both the child’s academic performance and general behavior in that school. We must receive this information before the enrollment process can be completed.
STEP THREE: Observe
- Prior to arranging for the student’s visit, parents will observe the classroom(s) to which they are applying for at least thirty minutes. This gives prospective families a strong sense of what our school is like. These observations may be done together or separately.
STEP FOUR: Student Visit
- Once you have applied and observed, we will make a plan for your child to visit. Spending time in one of our classrooms is the best way for students and staff to get a feel for whether McGuffey would be a good fit. Preschoolers visit for a half-day and students already in Kindergarten through Grade 8 visit for a full day.
- The teacher completes an interview form to evaluate if the student meets developmental and academic milestones. Students are eligible to enter based on academic readiness, ability to follow directions, and be part of the group. The interview and school records from previous school are used to determine eligibility. The goal of this process is to make sure we are the right fit for your child, and that your child is a good match for McGuffey.
STEP FIVE: Parent Pre-admissions Conference for Grades 3-8
- For new admissions into Grades 3-8, we require a conference with both parents to help determine if we are the right fit for your child, and that your child is a good match for McGuffey.
- Student evaluations and medical records from previously attended schools and any diagnostic or standardized testing will be requested from the parent. Samples of the child’s previous schoolwork will be helpful in evaluating possible placement.
- A key objective in McGuffey’s acceptance policy is to develop the proper balance in age, gender and maturity in each class. With this consideration in mind, the faculty and administration confer to determine the admission of each child.
- We accept students of varying academic ability and diverse learning styles. However, we do not accept students who may be disruptive to the class, require disproportionate individual attention from staff members, have a history of high absence rates or disciplinary action. New students are admitted with a 30 day probationary status.
- We give priority consideration to children of alumni families and staff, siblings of enrolled students, children whose older siblings stayed for Kindergarten and to students with prior Montessori experience.
- In addition, children whose educational background is consistent with the Montessori method will have priority for enrollment over children whose background is otherwise.
- If there is not currently room in a grade, we maintain applications on file as part of a waiting pool for two years. Families must have a completed application and fee on file to be in this waiting pool.
- McGuffey Montessori School reserves the right to withdraw a student at any time if, in the sole judgment of the School, that student’s conduct, progress, or influence on campus is not in keeping with the School’s accepted standards, as determined by the School’s sole discretion.
- McGuffey Montessori School reserves the right to withdraw a child if the parent or student becomes abusive to the staff, other students, or any member of the McGuffey community, as determined by the School’s sole discretion.
Rev. Jun 3, 2023
Tuition and Fees 2023-24
For PreKindergarten we offer full-time, three-day and two-day options. All options are full-day. Two day options are only for new three year olds or students still two years away from beginning Kindergarten.
A deposit is required upon enrollment ($500 for part-time enrollment and $800 for full-time enrollment). The deposit is applied towards the tuition total and the balance is paid across monthly payments beginning at enrollment and ending in March. For more information about paying tuition and how discounts work, see How Tuition Works.
McGuffey uses TADS, a financial assessment organization, to provide a framework through which household need can be measured fairly and equitably. Families must re-apply each year.
Financial aid is available on the basis of demonstrated need. If you believe that your resources are not sufficient to meet the total cost of a McGuffey Montessori School education, you may apply. Financial Aid is limited. Financial Aid is not available for PreKindergarten.
For returning students, aid decisions are made based on applications completed by late March. Use the link below to apply for financial aid. This platform is separate from your regular TADS account.
Applications for Financial Aid should be done before Enrollment since enrolling involves signing a Tuition Agreement and paying a non-refundable deposit. There is a $55 fee to apply for financial aid. Families applying for financial aid will be reimbursed for $35 of this if they are awarded financial aid and they enroll. To apply for Financial Aid, please contact the Head of School.
EdChoice Expansion Scholarship
Ohio residents with students in K-8 are eligible for an EdChoice voucher. Go here for additional information. More than 70% of eligible students are receiving this voucher.
The McGuffey Montessori School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, family structure, or national or ethnic origin, in administration of its employment, educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and other school-administered programs.